Meet The Contributors

Mandy ~ I am a stay at home mom who has been on a medical roller coaster ride going from doctor to doctor trying to figure out what is wrong with me. All of the doctors agreed that there is something medically wrong with me, they just don't know what... Basically, just about every time that I go to the doctor, I wind up with a new diagnosis. It is very frustrating. I hope that some of these links will maybe help you or lead you in the right direction.

Ferd ~ I have had the honor and pleasure of practicing Internal Medicine for over 25 years. I am now enjoying sharing my thoughts and experience in the blogosphere in a number of ways. I am grateful to Mandy for including me on her excellent blog, Texas Medical Freak!

Friday, February 1, 2008

Chocoholics Rejoice!

Today is National Wear Red Day, when Americans wear red to show support of women’s heart disease. Hear disease is the #1 killer of women in the US. One and four women die of heart disease. The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute is a great resource for women’s heart health.

You may be wondering, “What in the world does this have to do with chocolate?” Well, the other day in the mail I received the latest copy of Heart Healthy Living. The front cover immediately caught my eye! CHOCOLATE! “Keep the treats and lower your blood pressure”. I am not a huge chocoholic but, I do enjoy chocolate (my youngest is the chocoholic in the family).

In one of the “chocolate” articles titled “Cocoa May Fight Hypertension”. WOW! I thought, I felt like a kid in a candy store! Then…I read on, 30 tiny little calories =( of dark chocolate you can eat daily to help reduce blood pressure without affecting body weight! Yea, all is not lost! The research was done at the University Hospital of Cologne. Germany…not the US figures, figures but that is for another post.

Anyway, here are some “heart healthy” chocolate recipe’s that I found on Heart Healthy Living. Chocolate Ricotta Mousse, Frozen Hot Chocolate, Heart Healthy Chocolate Cake

Photo thanks to Flikr





6 comments:

Unknown said...

I work at a TV station and all the anchors and reports (and the behind the scenes people like me) are all wearing their RED today! Yay!

Mandy said...

Grace ~ Good for ya'll! Don't forget, to eat your chocolate too =)

Anonymous said...

I love anything chocolate, especially chocolate covered raisins and hot chocolate, which I drink every day, year round.
Now all I have to do is drink red wine all the time, then I'll live forever.
I love it when "bad" things are good for you!

Mandy said...

Ferd ~ I want to try the Frozen Hot Chocolate, it sounds good. I think that my sons blood is really chocolate, he is such a chocoholic he almost needs a 12 step program =)

dr_clairebear said...

that's a great excuse to keep eating chocolate! :)))

Mandy said...

Dr. Clairebear ~ I thought so =)

Labels